Shakshuka! - Sweet Potato Chronicles - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Shakshuka!

Ben is a pho­tog­ra­pher and this week he's got a lot of dusk shoots to do. I can get pretty lazy about din­ner when it's just me and Esme eat­ing. You want cheesy noo­dles? Okay! Throw some peas in there for green. But I'm try­ing to put in more effort this week and come up with some new din­ner ideas. Tonight I made a twist on break­fast for din­ner. I could eat break­fast at every meal and so could Esme so I knew I was start­ing from a good place. Plus, is there a dish that's more fun to say than shak­shuka? I don't think so. We prob­a­bly said it about fif­teen times over din­ner tonight.

It's a very sim­ple dish that would be great for brunch, too. You poach eggs in a zesty tomato sauce and that's it. We had it with broc­coli and crusty bread. A bonus for Julian, who loves a crust to chew on so much he chor­tles to the bread in between bites.

I made the sauce in the after­noon and so I just had to steam the veg and poach the eggs before din­ner time. I went easy on the spice but if your kids or a bit older or more adven­tur­ous you could go to town by adding hot pep­pers to the onion mix­ture. This is one of those recipes that cre­ates fights in the com­ment boxes of food sites. Never use onions. You must use bell pep­pers. It's Israeli. It's def­i­nitely Libyan. Feta does not belong in shak­shuka. In advance: sorry. I loved the way this turned out and will def­i­nitely make it again. Esme said it was very yummy and that's all that mat­tered tonight. Plus, there were left­overs for Ben when he got home.

Shak­shuka!

1 onion chopped
3 or 4 cloves of gar­lic minced
a really good sized glug of olive oil
1 tea­spoon paprika
1/2 tea­spoon cumin
1 28 ounce can of whole toma­toes
1 table­spoon tomato paste
good pinch of kosher salt and pep­per
5 or 6 eggs
1/4 cup crum­bled feta
chopped basil (or parsley)

Chop the onion on the fine side and mince the gar­lic. Sautee them for a few min­utes in a really good glug of olive oil. Let them get almost brown and then add the spices. Allow the spices to cook for a cou­ple of minutes.

Pour the toma­toes and their juice into a bowl. Use your hands to squish them and break them up.

Add the toma­toes to the onion mix­ture and allow to sim­mer on low heat for 20 to 30 min­utes. It should cook down and become quite thick. Trans­fer to a shal­low fry­ing pan and bring back to a sim­mer. Gen­tly crack the eggs onto the sauce and cook until the yolks set, about 7 min­utes. My yolks weren't set­ting so I put a lid on it for a cou­ple of min­utes at the end. Crum­ble the feta and herbs over top. Serve with crusty bread.

Esme wasn't sure what to make of this on her plate but after a ten­ta­tive bite, devoured hers. Success!

1. Tony says:

That looks delicious!

2. I Heart Beauty says:

OMG, it does!! I'm mak­ing it this week.

I heart you guys!

4. Lesa says:

I've never heard of this dish but OMG it looks super yummy!

5. Natalee says:

I'm def­i­nitely try­ing this recipe this week it looks won­der­ful — using teh site to meal plan before bed!

6. hebba says:

Try adding the fol­low­ing: green onions or finely diced shal­lots, cooked in sauce chick peas or cor­rian­der which will give it a green addi­tion, enjoy!

7. Gee says:

Does the web page actu­ally say "5 o'clock shit-show — click here for ideas"?

Nice, I'll bring the kids to the web site and show them too.

8. Ram says:

It reminds me of the good old days..It's true, we used to do it when there was no food!

9. […] eat. I could eat eggs for every meal and just this week I busted out an old favourite – Shak­shuka – for din­ner. But I recently real­ized that I’m miss­ing a key ele­ment to com­plete egg […]

10. Nurcan says:

This dish isn't shak­shuka it's called "men­e­men" and in shak­shuka you dont use eggs, you chop the veg­ies in to dice size and fry them and you add tomato souce with gar­lic on top off the fried veg­ies and sim­mer for 10–15 min.
    As for the veg­ies you can use egg­plants, hot or sweet pep­pers , zuc­cini and pata­toes. İf you use field toma­toes for the souce is the best plus salt you don,t use spices in this. How İ know this because it is a Turk­ish dish and İ am Turk.

See? This is what I'm talk­ing about! Nur­can, thanks so much for writ­ing in. I'd never heard of Men­e­men. It's so inter­est­ing how inter­twined these recipes are! Many peo­ple call what I have made Shak­shuka and when I googled Men­e­men, many peo­ple seem to make it by scram­bling eggs rather than poach­ing them. It all looks delicious!

12. Nurcan says:

13. Nurcan says:

Hi Ceri, you can make the eggs both ways which ever you like but i would not recomend put­ing in lots of spice instead just use salt and pep­per. This way you taste the food not the strong spices. Also if you try the shak­shuka dont for­get the plain yougurt with some gar­lic aded in they go per­fect together;)

14. Nurcan says:

15. Terra says:

I finally made this. Huge hit. Days later Dar­ren told me it was the best din­ner we'd ever had. Ha!

Ah! That's so nice. Hmm… I think I might need to make this tonight. Glad it was a hit!!

17. Andrea says:

I made this last night for dinner-we are on a low salt diet and so I did not add any extra salt (it did not need it, there is so much flavour from the onion, gar­lic, cumin, and paprika). It was per­fect, a deli­cious week­night din­ner or would be an amaz­ing win­ter brunch.
    Com­fort food that is deli­cious and healthy!

18. […] peaked last year. But there’s no more pop­u­lar dish right now among the food obsessed than Shak­shuka. (Okay, maybe ramen but I am not going to be learn­ing how to make home made buck­wheat noo­dles any […]