Lunch Week: Turkey, Barley and White Bean Chili - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Lunch Week: Turkey, Barley and White Bean Chili

It's lunch week folks. Yes, you heard me. In our effort to deliver more ideas on one topic, we've dedided to have some theme weeks. You can look for­ward to "Soup Week as well as Dessert Week in the near future. The 20-somethings that loaded bars last week for Toronto's Beer Week, I'm assum­ing, would find "Lunch Week" a bit of a let down. But if you've got to pack them day in and day out for school, Lunch Week rates right up there with "Vaca­tion Week" and "Sleep Away Camp Week."

This first recipe makes a healthy, easy lunch full of lean pro­tien and fiber, but it has a long life. It can begin as your din­ner one night (I serve it over spelt bread with a dol­lop of plain yogurt on top) and fol­low as a nice, warm lunch the next day with cracker. Or you can go the sloppy joe route and fill a whole grain bun with it and grate some ched­dar on top.

Turkey, Bar­ley and White Bean Chili

1 cup of bar­ley
2 tea­spoons ground cumin
2 table­spoons chili pow­der
1/2 tea­spoon oregano
1/4 tea­spoon salt
4 table­spoons of low-fat sour cream or plain yogurt
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add onion, cel­ery and gar­lic. Cook for 5 min­utes or until onions are translu­cent. Put the turkey into the pan, break­ing apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 5 min­utes or until no longer pink. Stir in chili pow­der, cumin, oregano and salt. Add in chicken stock, car­rots and bar­ley. Sim­mer for 10 min­utes, stir­ring occa­sion­ally. Add beans, mix well and cook on low heat for a fur­ther 10 min­utes.
Serve over your favorite bread with a dol­lop of fat-free sour cream or yogurt on top.

On this occas­sion, I couldn't coax Scar­lett into mak­ing this meal with me because her grand­par­ents were in town. There were too many puz­zles and games to play with them. We had it one night for din­ner over a slice of spelt bread (I always use cookie cut­ters on the bread to make it look more fun). For the adult por­tions, I added a bit of hot sauce to give it more fla­vor. The next day, we packed it in Scarlett's ther­mos. Along side some whole grain crack­ers, apple chunks and some baby bel cheese, I knew she was guar­an­teed a good lunch.

1. Anonymous says:

I walked into my friend's house yes­ter­day and she was mak­ing this. Her lap­top on counter with SPC up. The house smelled so good, I am mak­ing it today.
    Yum­m­m­m­m­mmy

Dear Anon,
    Thanks for your sweet note. Laura and I love the idea that we're in real kitchens! It's amaz­ing. Hope it worked out for you, too.
    Ceri

3. Anonymous says:

Hi Anony­mous, Thank you so much for your note. You made our week! We hope your chili came out great. Laura

4. michelle says:

Great recipe–must try this soon! Although the title says "Tuna" instead of "Turkey"…that con­fused me a bit. Love your site.

5. Susan says:

typo in the title … I was ini­tially grossed out when I read 'tuna', but hap­pier when i saw that it was actu­ally 'turkey'. :-)

6. […] Turkey Bar­ley and White Bean Chili is a unique chili recipe that will be a great addi­tion to your rotation. […]

7. Highly ener­getic post, I loved that a lot. Will there be
    a part 2?

8. MJ says:

I was look­ing for a turkey chili recipe online today and was thrilled to find a recipe that didn't require that I go to a gro­cery store — I had every­thing in my cup­boards, except white beans. I sub­sti­tuted chick­peas. In serv­ing the chili, I topped the bowls with some shred­ded cheese for my kids. Quick, easy, nutri­tious and every­one loved it — espe­cially my kids. Now school lunches are already made for tomor­row. Thanks so much!

9. sunday laws says:

There's defi­nately a lot to find out about this issue.
    I like all the points you made.

10. Wilhemina says:

Amaz­ing blog! Do you have any tips for aspir­ing writ­ers?
    I'm plan­ning to start my own blog soon but I'm a lit­tle lost
    on every­thing. Would you sug­gest start­ing with a free plat­form like Word­Press or go for a paid option? There
    are so many choices out there that I'm totally confused ..

Any rec­om­men­da­tions? Kudos!

11. cer­tainly like your web site how­ever you need to check the spelling
    on sev­eral of your posts. A num­ber of them are rife with spelling issues and I in find­ing it very both­er­some to tell the truth
    how­ever I will surely come again again.

12. You should be a part of a con­test for one of the finest sites on the
    inter­net. I'm going to highly rec­om­mend this web site!

13. My part­ner and I stum­bled over here by a dif­fer­ent web page and thought I may as well check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just fol­low­ing you.
    Look for­ward to look­ing into your web page yet again.