Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese Recipe - Sweet Potato Chronicles - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese Recipe

You know what I'm going to do next year? I'm going to start shop­ping for Christ­mas gifts in Sep­tem­ber, start bak­ing in Novem­ber, dec­o­rate our place in the first week of Decem­ber and then spend the rest of the hol­i­days enjoy­ing myself (and the deli­cious smug feel­ing that comes along with avoid­ing irri­ta­tions every­one else is feel­ing). You know what I'm doing this year? Run­ning around in a white hot panic. You?

One of the fun tasks on my list for this week was to think of a dish to bring to the potluck hol­i­day party at Esme's day­care. Laura and I have been talk­ing about party food that's good for adults and kids and this sweet potato mac & cheese really fits the bill, if I do say so myself. The sweet potato puree in the cheese sauce adds a nutri­tional boost plus adds colour found in cer­tain pop­u­lar pack­aged brands. I'm going to bring a big casse­role dish of this to the party. If I were serv­ing it at home I'd fill up some ramekins for the kids and then add some chilli sauce to grown up dish.

Esme and I made this together this morn­ing. Our plan was to fin­ish it, go out and run a few errands together and then come back and have it for lunch. But it was so yummy we both stood at the stove hav­ing "just one more bite" until we really didn't need lunch an hour later. But we did have a lit­tle more anyway.

Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese

1 sweet potato, baked about 45 — 60 until soft (I baked mine the night before while cook­ing the oven was on for some­thing else)
3 cups whole­wheat mac­a­roni
4 table­spoons but­ter
2 table­spoons flour
2 cups milk
1 cup ched­dar, grated
1/2 cup parme­san, grated
1 cup frozen peas
pep­per to taste

Place noo­dles in boil­ing water. Cook accord­ing to pack­age instruc­tions, about 8 minutes.

Slice open sweet potato and scoop out the flesh. Puree with a splash of water until smooth. You need about 1 cup.

In a heavy bot­tomed pan, melt but­ter over medium-low heat. Sprin­kle flour into melted but­ter and stir. Allow to cook for about a minute, stir­ring. Slowly add milk, stir­ring con­stantly. Allow the sauce to thicken as you add splashes of milk. Once all the milk is in the sauce, add the grated cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the sweet potato puree and stir until well com­bined. Taste the sauce before adding pep­per. I don't add salt as parme­san is quite salty.

For the last 2 min­utes of pasta cook­ing, toss in the frozen peas. Who needs another pot? Drain the pasta and the peas and put back in their pot. Pour the cheese sauce over and mix together well. Serve in small ramekins or in a large casse­role. Serves 8.

& Cheese Recipe', url: 'http://www.sweetpotatochronicles.com/wordpress/2010/12/sweet-potato-mac-cheese-recipe/', contentId: 'post-1985', suggestTags: 'Mac&Cheese,Pasta,Sweet Potato', styling: 'full' });return false" class="evernoteSiteMemoryLink">

1. […] Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese is a healthy twist on the orange-colored favorite of kids. It’s orange too! […]

2. Andrea says:

Just fin­ished mak­ing this and… oh my! So, so good!

Hi Andrea,
    I know! It really is the bomb. If I may say so myself! I haven't made it in awhile — I really should get it into rota­tion again.
    So glad it worked for you!
    Ceri

4. Elise says:

Love the recipe!! I did add salt (being my first attempt at "box-like" mac 'n' cheese I thought my 4 year old wouldn't eat it with­out), and I also added onion pow­der, gar­lic pow­der, a pinch of white pep­per, a pinch of nut­meg, and a splash of Frank's Red Hot to give it that tang that boxed mac seems to have. Love it!! And two fists in the air from my 4 yr old! YAY!! It's a keeper!

Hi Elise,
    For real, two fists in the air?! That is so awe­some! I'm so glad it went over so well. And good for you for mak­ing it your own!
    Thanks for reading!!!

6. […] Sweet Potato Chron­i­cles’ Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese. I made this yum­mi­ness yes­ter­day for lunch for Li’l K and I. I love it because the sweet potato adds extra […]

7. keith kesler says:

saw a ver­sion of this recipe on a national cable show while sit­ting in wait­ing for my car to get oil changed the other day. sounds awe­some, can't wait to try. love the fact that it's a health­ier ver­sion, using whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes.

8. Amy says:

Made this the other night, and every­one loved it!!! My 4-year-old and hus­band both turn up their noses at the men­tion of sweet potato, but I didn't tell them and they both cleaned their plates! Yay! Thank you for mak­ing mac and cheese a bit health­ier. Love it!

Woohoo! Love that this went over so big with your crew. Espe­cially that you got sweet potato by the skep­tics! Let us know if there are any other recipes you'd like us to health-up for you. We're always look­ing for inspiration!

10. Melissa says:

Oooh this looks SO yummy! Love the sweet potato part of it… I'll be mak­ing this tonight (or tomor­row… we'll see where the day takes me, haha!). My hus­band & 2 sons (8 & 5) are sure to love it *fin­gers & every­thing else crossed*

Ques­tion: Do you have any sug­ges­tions for a side? They boys (hus­band is included in the "boy" cat­e­gory) could eat heap­ing mounds of pasta by itself. Maybe a Cae­sar Salad & Gar­lic Toast? Or has any­one tried dif­fer­ent sides that would go well with this dish? TIA :)

Hi Melissa,
    Do your kids like broc­coli? Even if they don't nor­mally, why don't you try it roasted? Changes every­thing — I love it! Here's a recipe:

And I'm cross­ing my fin­gers for you, too. Let me know how it goes!!

xoCeri

12. Kristin says:

Hi,

So excited about try­ing this recipe because Mac n cheese is one of my son's faves. I was just won­der­ing about mak­ing this ahead of time, does it reheat okay in the oven?

Thanks!

13. Kaelila Capuano says:

Sounds amaz­ing… Think­ing of mak­ing it to freeze for after I have the baby. Would it freeze and reheat well?