Travel Week: Blueberry Spelt Oat Bars - Sweet Potato Chronicles - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Travel Week: Blueberry Spelt Oat Bars

Scar­lett and I travel a lot. We're on a plane once a month and we've been doing that amount of travel since she was a baby. It's just the way it is when nana and grandpa live so far away. As a result, Scar­lett is the most amaz­ing lit­tle trav­eler — noth­ing like myself. I'm a ner­vous flyer, but I'd never let her know.  I had to leave my fears and the laraz­pan behind when she was born — I would never want to trans­fer my anx­i­ety to her. She just loves the whole process - pulling her lit­tle bag, order­ing her bev­er­age (Juice, pleeze) and col­or­ing the whole flight. I try to make an event around eat­ing because it kills time. I pack lots of snacks that could eas­ily sit in a bag with­out any refrig­er­a­tion. (I can't tell you how many cold packs air­ports have con­fis­cated from me.) The obvi­ous things like bananas, car­rot sticks and apples always rate, but  I also can't resist a home baked treat. I usu­ally take enough for myself as well. If you're head­ing out-of-town for March break, here's a healthy snack. Larazpan not included.

photo Maya Vis­nyei

I was relieved when I went to bake these bars that have been adapted from a Whole Foods recipe and Scar­lett jumped right in because she had for­mally quit the blog the week before. Since she had the flu, I was pretty sure it was the fever talk­ing. Regard­less, I was a lit­tle wor­ried. I keep wait­ing for the moment when she real­izes cook­ing isn't a game. Well, it's fun, but it's not Can­dy­land peo­ple. I'm sure the lovely and bril­liant pho­tog­ra­pher Maya Vis­nyei had some­thing to do with Scarlett's keener atti­tude. In our home to cap­ture the process, Scar­lett loves to show her cook­ing prowess. Luck­ily, Maya didn't mind Scarlett's inter­est in her pho­tog­ra­phy equip­ment or her inap­pro­pri­ate line of ques­tion­ing. No one wants to explain to a preschooler why they don't have kids yet while they're working.

Blue­berry Spelt Oat Bars

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup packed nat­ural brown sugar
1/8 tea­spoon salt
1/4 tea­spoon bak­ing soda
1/4 ground cin­na­mon
1/4 cup sun­flower seeds
1/4 cup dried blue­ber­ries
1/2 cup sun­flower oil
5 table­spoons orange juice, divided
1/2 cup blue­berry fruit preserve

Pre­heat oven to 325 and grease a 8×8 in. bak­ing pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, sugar, salt, bak­ing soda, cin­na­mon, sun­flower seeds and blue­ber­ries. Add oil and 3 table­spoons of the orange juice. Mix well. Save a 1/2 cup of the mix­ture and press the rest of the oats into the pre­pared bak­ing pan. In a bowl, mix the blue­berry pre­serves with the last two table­spoons of orange juice. Spread pre­serve mix­ture over the oats then sprin­kle with the remain­ing 1/2 cup of oats. Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 min­utes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Allow to cool com­pletely before cut­ting into bars.

photo Maya Vis­nyei

Thank good­ness Scar­lett didn't quit. I really didn't enjoy bak­ing and cook­ing with­out her while she was sick. Plus, I like being her assis­tant — just prep­ping and clean­ing. Poor Maya had a hard time keep­ing up with Scar­lett since she likes to push through recipes. I think she just wants to be able to eat them.

I cut the sugar in this recipe from Whole Foods because I knew the dried berries would lend their own nat­ural sweet­ness. I've got to admit, these bars are super crumbly. How­ever, I don't mind because they tasted deli­cious bro­ken up over yogurt.

1. Yum! I love blue­ber­ries! There's not so easy to get here, but I could prob­a­bly do them with black­ber­ries or mul­ber­ries which are much more common.

I've also started using maple syrup instead of sugar, so they might not be so crumbly with the extra liquid.

2. Yum! I love blue­ber­ries! There're not so easy to get here, but I could prob­a­bly do them with black­ber­ries or mul­ber­ries which are much more common.

3. Laura Keogh says:

We used dried blue­ber­ries that we found at Whole Foods. How­ever, a lot of gro­cery stores have pack­aged dried fruit. Look for brands that don't add sugar. How­ever, I bet black­ber­ries would be yummy too. If you give them a try, let us know how it comes out. We'd love to hear. Thank you for read­ing SPC!

4. Jing says:

Yummy! I hope your daughter's fully recov­ered from the flu now. By the sounds of it, she must've been highly ener­getic dur­ing the entire bak­ing process!

5. Love these! They look so deli­cious and healthy!

6. Mary Jaglowitz says:

I have just started eat­ing and bak­ing bet­ter. I won­dered what I would make with the spelt flour I bought. I am dia­betic so I will prob­a­bly cut the sugar and try replac­ing the oil with apple­sauce. This looks like an excel­lent healthy snack

7. Would like to see more healthy snacks. We all should watch our sugar intake (for sure) every­thing
    is so refinded today. We must eat healthy.
    Thanks!!! for your Great Recipes. When we eat
    Healthy we sure feel a lot better.

8. We need to see more healthy recipes. We need to get
    over using so much sugar in our recipes. If we eat
    healthy snacks like these recipes, we will surely
    feel bet­ter and have more energy. Get our chil­dren
    away from junk foods and eat great treats like these ones. Thanks!! I will be copy­ing more of
    your recipes for my Family.

9. Sarah says:

I don't use sugar or oil in my cook­ing — but these sound fan­tas­tic so I am going to try mak­ing them with sugar free apple­sauce instead. And frozen, no sugar blue­ber­ries instead of dried blue­ber­ries and blue­berry pre­serves (I can't seem to find sugar free dried fruit any­where near where I live)

10. Laura Keogh says:

I have the same sugar dil­hemma. Hard to find dried vari­eties as well as spreads or pre­serves with­out them. If you try the recipe with frozen blue­ber­ries sprin­kle some spelt flour on them before adding to the recipe. And be sure to let us know how it comes out. Thank you for reading.

11. Laura Keogh says:

We couldn't agree with you more, Diane. Thank you for your note. Let us know how it goes if you make this recipe. Thank you for read­ing SPC.

12. Laura Keogh says:

Hi, I love your idea to fur­ther cut the sugar. Let us know how it turns out…we'd love to know. Thank you for read­ing SPC.

13. Sarah says:

So I made them and they were a huge hit. I made a lot of sub­sti­tu­tions — no bak­ing soda or salt to cut down on the sodium con­tent, frozen no-sugar added blue­ber­ries (to replace the dried and the pre­serves), sugar-free apple­sauce (to replace the oil), and splenda (to replace the brown sugar). Also no cin­na­mon because I just don't like it. They came out very moist and chewy. I made two batches — one with fresh squeezed OJ — but then I was out of oranges so I tried using black­berry juice for the sec­ond batch and I liked them even better!!

14. 2011 watches says:

Really use­ful arti­cle. I sim­ply stum­bled upon your web­site and desired to say that I’ve extremely favored study­ing your weblog posts. Any implies I’ll be sub­scrib­ing inside your feed and I hope you pub­lish once far more quickly.

15. […] Blue­berry Spelt Oat Bars are a guilt free snack selec­tion thanks to oats and blue­ber­ries. Can you say grains and fruit? […]

16. Kristylee says:

Great recipe,
    I used apple but­ter with just an inch of sun­flower oil instead, also used frozen unsweet­ened organic blue­ber­ries through­out, and a rasp­berry perserve.
    Plus some fresh orange rind, VERY delicious.

Thanks

17. […] the pack­aged gra­nola bars on hold and give these low-sugar, antioxidant-rich Blue­berry Spelt Oat Bars a […]

18. […] Potato Chron­i­cles site is full of mouth-watering snack recipes such as Cran­berry Gra­nola Balls, Blue­berry Spelt Oat Bars, and Rice […]

19. […] Blue­berry Spelt Oat Bars — Kids will love these crumbly bars, you’ll love the antioxidant-rich blueberries. […]

20. […] Blue­berry Spelt Oat Bars are a great healthy snack to pack that can be kept in a plas­tic baggy. […]

21. nicole says:

Can't wait to try these. Should I use quick-cooking oats or reg­u­lar? Thanks!

22. Laura Keogh says:

Hi Nicole. Thank you for your note. Quick cook­ing oats are fine. Let me know how they turn out.

23. Onita says:

I really like what you guys tend to be up too.
    Such clever work and expo­sure! Keep up the very good works guys I've you guys to blogroll.