Guest Bloggers Emma and Henry make homemade Oreos - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Guest Bloggers Emma and Henry make homemade Oreos

I got to know Emma Red­ding­ton through her amaz­ing site The Mar­ion House Book. The first time I checked it out (on the advice of the always spot on Vit­a­min Daily girls) I real­ized that an hour had dis­ap­peared while I devoured all the envy-making house tours, design fea­tures and food posts. Don't say I didn't warn you! I sent Emma a lit­tle love note (since we've started SPC I find myself doing this more) and we got to email­ing. Even though she's the busiest of bees — a design busi­ness, a web­site, oh, and a son! — she agreed to do a post for us. The cook­ies that she and Henry whipped up for us look insanely good. Which doesn't sur­prised me, Emma obvi­ously loves to cook and bake but Henry is no slouch in the good taste depart­ment him­self. The day after Emma sent me the post I bumped into him at an art open­ing. With his dad Myles, of course, he's only two…
The moment I saw these two words, Home­made Oreos, I knew I had to give this recipe a try. Who doesn’t love an Oreo? And a home­made ver­sion, even bet­ter! It also kind of warmed my heart to know that the first Oreo my son would ever eat would be one that I had made him. How’s that for a brag­ging right!
My trick for bak­ing with a 2 year old is to be pre­pared and use “The Machine”. Before I enlist Henry’s help I make sure I have all of my ingre­di­ents mea­sured out, my bak­ing sheets lined, the oven warmed up and a sink full of warm, bub­bly water. Then I pull out the piece de resis­tance — my Kitchen-Aid mixer — or as Henry likes to call it, “The Machine”. This is like the ulti­mate toy for him (and me!). {Word of cau­tion — make sure you keep “The Machine” unplugged when you’re not using it as lit­tle hands will be test­ing out all the but­tons espe­cially when you’re not looking.}
This recipe con­sists of two parts: the wafers and the icing. There is noth­ing tricky about this recipe you lit­er­ally throw all of the ingre­di­ents into the mixer and let it do the work. You might think when mak­ing the wafers that the dough is never going to come together but be patient, it does. Oh, and when a recipe says use room tem­per­a­ture but­ter they mean it!

Here’s the recipe:

Home­made Oreos (Adapted from Retro Desserts, Wayne Brach­man via Smit­ten Kitchen)
(My com­ments in brackets!)

Makes 25 to 30 sand­wich cook­ies
For the choco­late wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweet­ened Dutch process cocoa (Fry’s Cocoa Pow­der will work in Canada)
1 tea­spoon bak­ing soda
1/4 tea­spoon bak­ing pow­der
1/4 tea­spoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 table­spoons room-temperature, unsalted but­ter
1 large egg
For the fill­ing:
1/4 cup room-temperature, unsalted but­ter
1/4 cup veg­etable short­en­ing
2 cups sifted icing sugar
2 tea­spoons vanilla extract

1. Set two racks in the mid­dle of the oven. Pre­heat to 375°F.
  2. In a food proces­sor, or bowl of an elec­tric mixer, thor­oughly mix the flour, cocoa, bak­ing soda and pow­der, salt, and sugar. While puls­ing, or on low speed, add the but­ter, and then the egg. Con­tinue pro­cess­ing or mix­ing until dough comes together in a mass.
  3. Take rounded tea­spoons of bat­ter and place on a parch­ment paper-lined bak­ing sheet approx­i­mately two inches apart. (I started off with loonie sized chunks of dough which was too big. It’s more like the size of a quar­ter. Remem­ber, you’re aim­ing for 50 to 60 of these indi­vid­ual wafers!) With moist­ened hands, slightly flat­ten the dough. Bake for 9 min­utes, rotat­ing once for even bak­ing. Set bak­ing sheets on a rack to cool.
  4. To make the cream, place but­ter and short­en­ing in a mix­ing bowl, and at low speed, grad­u­ally beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 min­utes until fill­ing is light and fluffy.
  5. To assem­ble the cook­ies, in a pas­try bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the cen­ter of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the fill­ing evenly to the out­sides of the cookie. (I don’t think it’s entirely nec­es­sary to use a pas­try bag. You could just spoon some icing on and squeeze between two wafers.) Con­tinue this process until all the cook­ies have been sand­wiched with cream.
Henry test­ing the wafer bat­ter. He’s a tough critic!Henry help­ing make the icing using “The Machine”.

Once you’ve baked all the wafers and made the icing you can get to the fun part which is assem­bling the cook­ies. I’ll admit that at this point Henry had lost inter­est but I imag­ine older kids would really get a kick out of this part. The recipe sug­gests using a pas­try bag but I think you could eas­ily just spread the icing on and squeeze it between two cookies.

The end result…delicious; sweet and salty and rem­i­nis­cent of the real thing!  If I made them again, I would try and elim­i­nate some if not all of the veg­etable short­en­ing. I imag­ine this is in there to help sta­bi­lize the icing but it is a bit waxy tast­ing. Does any­one have any good ideas of what you could replace it with, other than all butter?

Henry’s a man of few words but here is what he had to say, “Good! More again?”  Man, I love that kid!

1. Jessica Johnson says:

I love this and would try coconut oil for the short­en­ing!
    Thanks for sharing!

2. […] see the full post and get the recipe, click here. I’m also shar­ing a few of my secrets for bak­ing with a two year old. Do you have a favorite […]

3. Natalee says:

too gor­geous! Lucky Henry!

4. I am a big fan of the Mar­ion House Book and happy to dis­cover your lovely blog!
    I sec­ond the coconut oil idea. It's super healthy and works very, very well in bak­ing — I often sub­sti­tute it for but­ter so I bet it would be great in place of that short­en­ing!
    Thanks for the inspi­ra­tion and happy weekend!

Thanks for those sug­ges­tions, Jes­sica and Annie! Do you use coconut oil in the same amount as short­en­ing? And does it give a coconut flavour? I've never tried it.

6. Megan says:

Yum, those look so deli­cious! What a fun recipe to make with your kids.

7. Good idea with the coconut oil. I've used it before in other recipes. I bet it would be good. Another excuse to make them!

(I think I would prob­a­bly just sub­sti­tute the same amount.)

8. elisa rathje says:

oh, such a dar­ling. i third the coconut oil — you can get one by omega that is slightly processed so it doesn't have a taste of coconut, but then it's lost a bit of it's good­ness. i think the coconut would taste good here, though! yum! how­ever, noth­ing wrong with tons of but­ter, in my book! x

9. Pamela says:

Just a thought, how about a cream cheese fill­ing? Our fam­ily loves this in the Oreo cook­ies I make:

4 oz cream cheese, soft­ened, 2 TBSP but­ter, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 2 c. icing sugar.

Mix this all together and spread between the cook­ies. It is eas­ily doubled.

10. […] Home­made Oreos (sim­i­lar to Whoopie pies recipe) […]

11. Mike says:

Beau­ti­ful pho­tos, deli­cious recipe, great-looking blog — a per­fect post!

12. […] out gas­tro­nom­i­cal blogs of all kinds, The Kitchn, picked up my Home­made Oreos post that I did for The Sweet Potato Chron­i­cles. So as you can see it was a bit of a foodie week for me. Have you seen these sites before? Any other […]

13. Kelly McKinley says:

Crunchy deli­cious­ness. Made them tonight for a casual gath­er­ing of good friends and all but four were devoured. In one sit­ting.
    BTW made the cream cheese ver­sion of the icing — silken and sweet.
    Accord­ing to Will, my 6 year old, — the best cook­ies ever.
    Thanks, Emma.

14. Lindsey says:

I had home­made oreos as a shop in NYC and have been look­ing for a recipe ever since. These look amazing!

15. […] Home­made Oreos Emma Red­ding­ton of the The Mar­ion House Book rocked our world with the home­made ver­sion of the clas­sic cookie. […]

16. rachael says:

This was awhile ago, but I would replace the short­en­ing with cream cheese.

17. Kathie says:

I think I'm the only one who is happy to see a home­made Oreo recipe that does NOT have cream cheese in the fill­ing! There is no cream cheese in Oreo fill­ing and frankly, I just don't think it would taste right. So, thank you for not includ­ing it. I can't wait to try this recipe.

18. Rachael says:

This looks awe­some! When I read the recipe (before I got to you ask­ing for sub­sti­tu­tions), I was already think­ing that I would make the cen­ter creme fill­ing with just a bit of creme to make it spread­able (instead of the oil), I don't think it would need as much (maybe 2 TBS, I'm not pos­i­tive). Coconut oil is also a great sug­ges­tion and shouldn't add any fla­vor. None that I have ever noticed, any­way and I have a pretty sen­si­tive palate.

19. Stephanie says:

I've made these before and used a cooked flour frost­ing recipe (like the creamy vanilla frost­ing from mag­no­lia bak­ery). Then I added marsh­mal­low creme and a lit­tle pow­dered sugar because the cooked frost­ing is really light and not very sweet–no short­en­ing, and delicious!

20. Christen says:

I found this on Pin­ter­est and decided to give it a try to hand out as Christ­mas gifts. I think peo­ple will be intrigued when they see "home­made" oreos. I am in the mid­dle of mak­ing them now and they are turn­ing out per­fect. I had to add a lit­tle milk to the frost­ing to make it spread­able, but it wasn't even a tsp. Now they are per­fect and smell amaz­ing. I think my fam­ily is going to love them. Thank you!

21. I am about to take these on!! wish me luck

gandacummings.blogspot.com

22. […] Home­made Oreos by Emma Red­ding­ton, who could for­get these? Oreos have always been my favourite cookie and these make a fun (and tasty!) week­end project. […]

23. Katie says:

Oh my! These were soooo good. I used cream cheese in place of the short­en­ing in the creme fill­ing and carob pow­der for the wafer dough. Oh. So. Good.

24. Amy says:

How long do you cook the cook­ies? I'm guess­ing about 10 minutes?

25. wendy says:

Lov­ingthis recipie! Has any­one tried freez­ing these oreo's and if so with which fill­ing? I fancy the coconut oil ver­sion but do you mean solid oil or liq­uid. Mouth water­ing and I haven't even turned the oven on yet!

26. Zack says:

Instead of putting veg­etable short­en­ing i just added more pow­dered sugar till it was the thick­ness that I liked. Way bet­ter than oreos by the way. Real rich as well!

27. Lj says:

Just won­der­ing if the cook­ies are crispy? They look soft like a whoopie pie I'm try­ing to find an "Oreo" remake with the crispy melt in you mouth cookies