Guest Bloggers Emma and Henry make homemade Oreos - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Guest Bloggers Emma and Henry make homemade Oreos

I got to know Emma Red­ding­ton through her amaz­ing site The Mar­ion House Book. The first time I checked it out (on the advice of the always spot on Vit­a­min Daily girls) I real­ized that an hour had dis­ap­peared while I devoured all the envy-making house tours, design fea­tures and food posts. Don't say I didn't warn you! I sent Emma a lit­tle love note (since we've started SPC I find myself doing this more) and we got to email­ing. Even though she's the busiest of bees — a design busi­ness, a web­site, oh, and a son! — she agreed to do a post for us. The cook­ies that she and Henry whipped up for us look insanely good. Which doesn't sur­prised me, Emma obvi­ously loves to cook and bake but Henry is no slouch in the good taste depart­ment him­self. The day after Emma sent me the post I bumped into him at an art open­ing. With his dad Myles, of course, he's only two…
The moment I saw these two words, Home­made Oreos, I knew I had to give this recipe a try. Who doesn’t love an Oreo? And a home­made ver­sion, even bet­ter! It also kind of warmed my heart to know that the first Oreo my son would ever eat would be one that I had made him. How’s that for a brag­ging right!
My trick for bak­ing with a 2 year old is to be pre­pared and use “The Machine”. Before I enlist Henry’s help I make sure I have all of my ingre­di­ents mea­sured out, my bak­ing sheets lined, the oven warmed up and a sink full of warm, bub­bly water. Then I pull out the piece de resis­tance — my Kitchen-Aid mixer — or as Henry likes to call it, “The Machine”. This is like the ulti­mate toy for him (and me!). {Word of cau­tion — make sure you keep “The Machine” unplugged when you’re not using it as lit­tle hands will be test­ing out all the but­tons espe­cially when you’re not looking.}
This recipe con­sists of two parts: the wafers and the icing. There is noth­ing tricky about this recipe you lit­er­ally throw all of the ingre­di­ents into the mixer and let it do the work. You might think when mak­ing the wafers that the dough is never going to come together but be patient, it does. Oh, and when a recipe says use room tem­per­a­ture but­ter they mean it!

Here’s the recipe:

Home­made Oreos (Adapted from Retro Desserts, Wayne Brach­man via Smit­ten Kitchen)
(My com­ments in brackets!)

Makes 25 to 30 sand­wich cook­ies
For the choco­late wafers:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweet­ened Dutch process cocoa (Fry’s Cocoa Pow­der will work in Canada)
1 tea­spoon bak­ing soda
1/4 tea­spoon bak­ing pow­der
1/4 tea­spoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 table­spoons room-temperature, unsalted but­ter
1 large egg
For the fill­ing:
1/4 cup room-temperature, unsalted but­ter
1/4 cup veg­etable short­en­ing
2 cups sifted icing sugar
2 tea­spoons vanilla extract

1. Set two racks in the mid­dle of the oven. Pre­heat to 375°F.
  2. In a food proces­sor, or bowl of an elec­tric mixer, thor­oughly mix the flour, cocoa, bak­ing soda and pow­der, salt, and sugar. While puls­ing, or on low speed, add the but­ter, and then the egg. Con­tinue pro­cess­ing or mix­ing until dough comes together in a mass.
  3. Take rounded tea­spoons of bat­ter and place on a parch­ment paper-lined bak­ing sheet approx­i­mately two inches apart. (I started off with loonie sized chunks of dough which was too big. It’s more like the size of a quar­ter. Remem­ber, you’re aim­ing for 50 to 60 of these indi­vid­ual wafers!) With moist­ened hands, slightly flat­ten the dough. Bake for 9 min­utes, rotat­ing once for even bak­ing. Set bak­ing sheets on a rack to cool.
  4. To make the cream, place but­ter and short­en­ing in a mix­ing bowl, and at low speed, grad­u­ally beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2 to 3 min­utes until fill­ing is light and fluffy.
  5. To assem­ble the cook­ies, in a pas­try bag with a 1/2 inch, round tip, pipe teaspoon-size blobs of cream into the cen­ter of one cookie. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the cream. Lightly press, to work the fill­ing evenly to the out­sides of the cookie. (I don’t think it’s entirely nec­es­sary to use a pas­try bag. You could just spoon some icing on and squeeze between two wafers.) Con­tinue this process until all the cook­ies have been sand­wiched with cream.
Henry test­ing the wafer bat­ter. He’s a tough critic!Henry help­ing make the icing using “The Machine”.

Once you’ve baked all the wafers and made the icing you can get to the fun part which is assem­bling the cook­ies. I’ll admit that at this point Henry had lost inter­est but I imag­ine older kids would really get a kick out of this part. The recipe sug­gests using a pas­try bag but I think you could eas­ily just spread the icing on and squeeze it between two cookies.

The end result…delicious; sweet and salty and rem­i­nis­cent of the real thing!  If I made them again, I would try and elim­i­nate some if not all of the veg­etable short­en­ing. I imag­ine this is in there to help sta­bi­lize the icing but it is a bit waxy tast­ing. Does any­one have any good ideas of what you could replace it with, other than all butter?

Henry’s a man of few words but here is what he had to say, “Good! More again?”  Man, I love that kid!

1. Jessica Johnson says:

I love this and would try coconut oil for the short­en­ing!
    Thanks for sharing!

2. […] see the full post and get the recipe, click here. I’m also shar­ing a few of my secrets for bak­ing with a two year old. Do you have a favorite […]

3. Natalee says:

too gor­geous! Lucky Henry!

4. I am a big fan of the Mar­ion House Book and happy to dis­cover your lovely blog!
    I sec­ond the coconut oil idea. It's super healthy and works very, very well in bak­ing — I often sub­sti­tute it for but­ter so I bet it would be great in place of that short­en­ing!
    Thanks for the inspi­ra­tion and happy weekend!

Thanks for those sug­ges­tions, Jes­sica and Annie! Do you use coconut oil in the same amount as short­en­ing? And does it give a coconut flavour? I've never tried it.

6. Megan says:

Yum, those look so deli­cious! What a fun recipe to make with your kids.

7. Good idea with the coconut oil. I've used it before in other recipes. I bet it would be good. Another excuse to make them!

(I think I would prob­a­bly just sub­sti­tute the same amount.)

8. elisa rathje says:

oh, such a dar­ling. i third the coconut oil — you can get one by omega that is slightly processed so it doesn't have a taste of coconut, but then it's lost a bit of it's good­ness. i think the coconut would taste good here, though! yum! how­ever, noth­ing wrong with tons of but­ter, in my book! x

9. Pamela says:

Just a thought, how about a cream cheese fill­ing? Our fam­ily loves this in the Oreo cook­ies I make:

4 oz cream cheese, soft­ened, 2 TBSP but­ter, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and 2 c. icing sugar.

Mix this all together and spread between the cook­ies. It is eas­ily doubled.

10. […] Home­made Oreos (sim­i­lar to Whoopie pies recipe) […]

11. Mike says:

Beau­ti­ful pho­tos, deli­cious recipe, great-looking blog — a per­fect post!

12. […] out gas­tro­nom­i­cal blogs of all kinds, The Kitchn, picked up my Home­made Oreos post that I did for The Sweet Potato Chron­i­cles. So as you can see it was a bit of a foodie week for me. Have you seen these sites before? Any other […]

13. Kelly McKinley says:

Crunchy deli­cious­ness. Made them tonight for a casual gath­er­ing of good friends and all but four were devoured. In one sit­ting.
    BTW made the cream cheese ver­sion of the icing — silken and sweet.
    Accord­ing to Will, my 6 year old, — the best cook­ies ever.
    Thanks, Emma.

14. Lindsey says:

I had home­made oreos as a shop in NYC and have been look­ing for a recipe ever since. These look amazing!

15. […] Home­made Oreos Emma Red­ding­ton of the The Mar­ion House Book rocked our world with the home­made ver­sion of the clas­sic cookie. […]

16. rachael says:

This was awhile ago, but I would replace the short­en­ing with cream cheese.

17. Kathie says:

I think I'm the only one who is happy to see a home­made Oreo recipe that does NOT have cream cheese in the fill­ing! There is no cream cheese in Oreo fill­ing and frankly, I just don't think it would taste right. So, thank you for not includ­ing it. I can't wait to try this recipe.

18. Rachael says:

This looks awe­some! When I read the recipe (before I got to you ask­ing for sub­sti­tu­tions), I was already think­ing that I would make the cen­ter creme fill­ing with just a bit of creme to make it spread­able (instead of the oil), I don't think it would need as much (maybe 2 TBS, I'm not pos­i­tive). Coconut oil is also a great sug­ges­tion and shouldn't add any fla­vor. None that I have ever noticed, any­way and I have a pretty sen­si­tive palate.

19. Stephanie says:

I've made these before and used a cooked flour frost­ing recipe (like the creamy vanilla frost­ing from mag­no­lia bak­ery). Then I added marsh­mal­low creme and a lit­tle pow­dered sugar because the cooked frost­ing is really light and not very sweet–no short­en­ing, and delicious!

20. Christen says:

I found this on Pin­ter­est and decided to give it a try to hand out as Christ­mas gifts. I think peo­ple will be intrigued when they see "home­made" oreos. I am in the mid­dle of mak­ing them now and they are turn­ing out per­fect. I had to add a lit­tle milk to the frost­ing to make it spread­able, but it wasn't even a tsp. Now they are per­fect and smell amaz­ing. I think my fam­ily is going to love them. Thank you!

21. I am about to take these on!! wish me luck

gandacummings.blogspot.com

22. […] Home­made Oreos by Emma Red­ding­ton, who could for­get these? Oreos have always been my favourite cookie and these make a fun (and tasty!) week­end project. […]

23. Katie says:

Oh my! These were soooo good. I used cream cheese in place of the short­en­ing in the creme fill­ing and carob pow­der for the wafer dough. Oh. So. Good.

24. Amy says:

How long do you cook the cook­ies? I'm guess­ing about 10 minutes?

25. wendy says:

Lov­ingthis recipie! Has any­one tried freez­ing these oreo's and if so with which fill­ing? I fancy the coconut oil ver­sion but do you mean solid oil or liq­uid. Mouth water­ing and I haven't even turned the oven on yet!

26. Zack says:

Instead of putting veg­etable short­en­ing i just added more pow­dered sugar till it was the thick­ness that I liked. Way bet­ter than oreos by the way. Real rich as well!

27. Lj says:

Just won­der­ing if the cook­ies are crispy? They look soft like a whoopie pie I'm try­ing to find an "Oreo" remake with the crispy melt in you mouth cookies

28. Up until nnow the only way to get free stone in the sport was to ait to level up or spend actual cash, this is the rea­son the
    con­flict of clans cheats tiol has a imme­di­ate bound­less gems
    hack com­pletely free. In present days, it is sim­ple to find numer­ous ver­sions of
    clash of clans cheat in the inter­net. Play Buddy is a asso­ci­ated
    with inter­ah­tive assis­tant which helps play­ers become bet­ter at
    games through giv­ing them thoughts which all of them.