One Pot Week: Lemon Thyme Chicken - Sweet Potato Chronicles - Sweet Potato Chronicles

One Pot Week: Lemon Thyme Chicken

This week has just about killed me. And I'm writ­ing this on a Wednes­day. I like to think that I'm some­one who is a decent time man­ager. Where I fall down — hard, face on the floor —  is with things I book well in advance. Know what I'm talk­ing about? Of course I'll come and talk to your stu­dents about work­ing in the mag­a­zine busi­ness next spring! I would love to write a research-heavy fea­ture for you four months from now! No prob­lem for me to be on that com­mit­tee next year — sign me up! Then of course next month, spring and year roll around and you're doing every­thing you nor­mally do AND the extra thing you com­mit­ted to.

This is how my week ended up includ­ing a re-arranging of our entire home, a birth­day party for Esme (five, can you believe it?) and house guests. They're all things I'm really happy about but also neces­si­tate some very easy din­ner plans. I wish I could take credit for mak­ing this busy week One Pot themed, but that was Laura's idea. Maybe she got a glimpse of my cal­en­dar and took pity? She's nice like that! Okay, enough of my high-class prob­lems and onto din­ner! I love lemon and thyme together and I really love a meal that comes together as eas­ily as this one. If you don't have zuc­chini handy, mush­rooms would also be good, too.

Truth time: If you're an eagle eye, you'll notice there are more lemons in this shot than are in the recipe. This beau­ti­ful look­ing pot of din­ner tasted hor­ri­ble! I sliced up an entire lemon when I made this dish with our pho­tog­ra­pher Maya and the bit­ter­ness the peel cre­ated was way too much. The next time I made it I used far less peel and more juice and it was fan­tas­tic. The recipe below reflects that impor­tant change. Let me know if you give it a try!

pho­tos by Maya Visnyei

Lemon Thyme Chicken

8 chicken thighs (I buy bone­less, skin­less), cut into bite-sized pieces
2 glugs of olive oil
2 onions, diced
4 cloves of gar­lic, minced
1 lemon, cut 3 thin slices and juice the rest (you'll be left with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of juice)
2 small-ish zuc­chi­nis, cut in half length­wise and sliced
6 to 8 branches of thyme
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
salt and pep­per to taste

In a large pot or Dutch oven, warm up your olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken in batches — don't over crowd your pot or the chicken won't brown nicely. You're not cook­ing the chicken right through so don't worry about that yet. Place the cooked chicken on a clean plate (never put it back on the plate or cut­ting board where you had your raw chicken!) and set aside. Drain most but not every bit of the fat left in your pot.

Put the pot back over medium heat. Don't worry if you've got some bits of meat stick­ing to the bot­tom, it will come off once you add your liq­uid. Sautee the onion, gar­lic, zuc­chini, thyme, and lemon slices. Stir it all together and allow the veg­eta­bles to just begin soft­en­ing. Say, about 5 minutes.

Add the chicken back to the pot and  pour the stock and lemon juice over top. Give it all a stir, turn the heat down a touch and sim­mer for 30 minutes.

I served this with cous cous I made with chicken stock and pars­ley at the end. Which, okay, makes it two pots but cous cous is so fast to make and is so easy to clean up I'm not going to feel too bad about cheat­ing. Okay? Okay!

1. Laura says:

Wow — doesn't get much eas­ier than that! I've been buy­ing more thighs too lately because the price of chicken is nuts … must try this!

2. Barbara Yankoski says:

First, happy belated birth­day wishes to Esme — five years old sweet girl. How won­der­ful!!! I am hav­ing one of those weeks and since I retired I have become very lazy about keep­ing track of my "appoint­ment". The reg­u­lar ones, like you, I'm all over it but those set months back — OMG. Yes, I'll do the Toast To The Lad­dies at our annual Rob­bie Burns din­ner (this week( but I vol­un­teered before Christ­mas! Yikes. I am mak­ing this deli­cious sound­ing one pot din­ner tonight and will let you know how it turns out. Cheers as always from me on the west coast of Canada. :)

Hi Ladies,
    Let me know how you like this one. It's dead sim­ple, I promise.

I'm with you Laura — I really pre­fer thighs to breasts. Well, that's sound­ing naugh­tier than I intended… but hon­estly I think there's so much more flavour in thighs plus they're not as prone to dry out.

Thanks for the birth­day wishes, Barbi! Esme had a great day and is lov­ing life as a five year old.

4. Julia says:

I tried it today, but it still turned out very bit­ter, although i only used 3 slices of lemon. i think it's because of the zuc­chini, maybe peel­ing it would help. i then added a whole can of toma­toes, and it was very nice, still a lit­tle bit­ter, bur a nice meal (served it with quinoa) :)

5. heather says:

I just made this for my room­mates and we all loved it! It was deli­cious and very easy. The only thing I changed was that I added two car­rots in.

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Hi Julia — I'm so sorry to hear that! Hmm.… won­der if it's the size of the lemons? I'm glad you were able to get cre­ative and sal­vage the meal — noth­ing worse than putting the time in and end­ing up with no din­ner!
    Heather — so delighted that you had bet­ter luck! Your room­mates must love you for mak­ing them din­ner! Now if only I could get MY lit­tle room­mates to cook my din­ner.…
    Thanks so much for reading!

7. Anne says:

This looks so good! I shared it on my blog (http://abletosleep.blogspot.com/). I am look­ing for­ward to try­ing it…

8. Michelle says:

I made this, and I was not a fan at all. The sauce was bit­ter despite adding more salt and a touch of sugar. The veg­etable dis­in­te­grated. Such a shame because all of the ingre­di­ents are things that I nor­mally love, but I could not get past the bit­ter sauce. Per­haps less lemon juice added at the END would make it better.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you Michelle! That's such a drag. I won­der if there is a big dif­fer­ence between lemons? I don't know — the sec­ond time I made it the bit­ter­ness was def­i­nitely gone but maybe the lemons I used were a dif­fer­ent vari­ety? In any case, I'm really sorry it was a bust!

10. Kathy says:

6 thumbs up here!

I did it in the slow cooker (pre-browned the thighs and onions) so cut back on the stock and added about a Tbs of flour to thicken the sauce. It smelled FABULOUS when we got home from work! I'll be print­ing this out to go in the "per­ma­nent file".

Ooh, doing it in the slow cooker is a really good idea! I'm so glad it worked out well for you. Don't you love com­ing home to the smell of din­ner? Even if you did the prep you feel like some­one else made dinner!

12. […] loves a good one pot meal and I love the idea of serv­ing this Lemon Thyme Chicken fam­ily style at the […]

13. Vanessa says:

Sounds yummy and I'm plan­ning to try it. Just won­der­ing how many serv­ings it makes?

Hi Vanessa,
    Depend­ing on the appetites in your fam­ily I'd say it's four serv­ings plus a bit left­over. Please let me know how it goes!

15. I made this with bone­less chicken breasts and it came out great! I changed the chicken stock to 1/2 cup white wine and 1+1÷2 cups chicken stock just because that's what I had on hand. It was fra­grant and deli­cious. My hus­band walked by and was in awe of how pretty it all looked in my blue Dutch oven. Thanks for a great recipe and I'm look­ing for­ward to more!
    –Dana

Hi Dana,
    So glad it was a hit for you! Let us know if there's any­thing in par­tic­u­lar you're look­ing for. We love reader requests!
    Thanks for reading!!