Pumpkin Oat Bars - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Pumpkin Oat Bars

Wel­come to another edi­tion of cook­ing with the infirm. Yes, that's right, Scar­lett is sick. Just three weeks into the insti­tu­tion I warmly refer to as the sess pool (oth­er­wise known as school) and her immune sys­tem was taken down by a hor­ren­dous case of strep throat with a scar­let fever chaser. In other words, we're home mak­ing snacks that no one in the unin­fected world would dare eat. I mean, are you will­ing to try one after sore throat girl has stuck her hands into every aspect of the dough mak­ing process?

It's actu­ally the kind of thing only a mother would do– eat from a pan of con­t­a­m­i­nated bars. It's why I made some­thing I was dying to snack on. In fact, I'm pretty proud of myself that I waited until Octo­ber to start my pump­kin marathon. I was itch­ing to get it under­way last month but resisted. Stock up on the pump­kin people–I'm ready to roll.

Pump­kin Oat Bars

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup spelt flour
4 table­spoons but­ter, room tem­per­a­ture
1 cup pump­kin puree
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tea­spoon pure vanilla extract
1 tea­spoon ground cin­na­mon
1/2 tea­spoon ground gin­ger
1/4 tea­spoon ground nut­meg
1/2 tea­spoon bak­ing soda
1/4 tea­spoon salt

Pre­heat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13  bak­ing pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, oats, gin­ger, nut­meg, cin­na­mon, bak­ing soda and salt.

Cream sugar with but­ter until smooth in a large bowl. Then add the egg, vanilla extract and pump­kin until com­bined. Stir in the oat mixture

Pour into pre­pared bak­ing pan and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 min­utes, or until a tooth­pick inserted into the cen­ter comes out clean.

Allow to cool com­pletely before cut­ting into squares.

The only thing miss­ing from these bars is choco­late chips. I was super tempted to put them in but our fam­ily gave up sugar for the month. Stop laugh­ing. I'm seri­ous. Stop laugh­ing. Obvi­ously, it would be too hard to give up sugar com­pletely. After all, it's found in basi­cally every­thing. However,we've given up the obvi­ous sugar traps: juice, ketchup, cook­ies, cakes, sweet­ened yogurts, my favorite pump­kin scones from Star­bucks, dress­ings, jams, my favorite pump­kin scones from Star­bucks, syrup and cereal. Oh, did I men­tion, I gave up my favorite pump­kin scones from Star­bucks. I'm not bit­ter though. I didn't want to have to make my own bread so we had to be a lit­tle lenient with our food taboos. We also made a rule that nat­ural sug­ars like fruit are good.

So I think these bars qual­ify as OK. Now, I see you look­ing at me with those cross eyes because we have sugar in them but I didn't put as much as I'd planned. I was going to use 1/3 cup but Scar­lett talked me out of it. And since they're full of pump­kin and oats I fig­ured they weren't like a cookie or a brownie. Right? (They're not like a cookie or a brownie! Agree with me!)

It's why I couldn't put the chips in. I really would have no leg to stand if the recipe included a 1/2 cup of choco­late chips. But you can add the chips. Please tell me you'll add the choco­late chips. (Then save me one.)

1. Julie says:

Oh my good­ness!!! These look so yummy! I'm also on a pump­kin marathon, but I started in Sep­tem­ber — I just couldn't wait! (I think it's OK to start as soon as it's offi­cially Fall!) I am totally mak­ing them next week! And YES I will add the choco­late chips!!!

2. Marisa says:

Oh YUM!! Just the kind of recipe that will be per­fect to use up the 1/2 can of pump­kin I have in the fridge. I don't deprive myself of pump­kin … I've been bak­ing with it all sum­mer!! And I WILL be adding the choco­late chips …

3. Erin says:

Is there bak­ing soda in the recipe! They look so yummy! Also curi­ous when to add the pumpkin?

4. Laura Keogh says:

Sorry ladies. It must be the sleep­less nights with the sick kid. I for­got the bak­ing soda. We used 1/2 tea­spoon. I'd also rec­om­mend 1/2 cup chips. Or 1 cup if you like lots a chocolate!

5. Shelley says:

Hello Laura… how much bak­ing soda? Also, where does the pump­kin get mixed in… I am think­ing with the oat mix­ture before adding to the dry ingredients?

Thanks! I am so excited to bake these… I love any­thing pump­kin… I am in the midst of mak­ing them now (:

6. Laura Keogh says:

Hi Shel­ley. Sorry ladies. It must be the sleep­less nights with the sick kid. I for­got the bak­ing soda. We used 1/2 tea­spoon. I’d also rec­om­mend 1/2 cup chips. Or 1 cup if you like lots a choco­late! Best, Laura

7. Shelley says:

Hello again Laura!
    The bars turned out amaz­ing! I loaded them up with a "gen­er­ous" cup of choco­late chips like you sug­gested.
    Thanks for a great recipe!
    Wish­ing you rest­ful nights!!

8. Laura Keogh says:

Hi Shel­ley! You are the best! Thank you for being so keen to try the recipe. How good are they with the chips? Amaz­ing, right?! I wish I could say I'm hav­ing a rest­ful night (I'm writ­ing this at 2:45 am) but it was sure a nice night find­ing your kind note in my inbox! Have a lovely week­end and thank you for read­ing! Best, Laura

9. Alexis says:

Made these this after­noon. Very Yummy. I used whole wheat flour as I didn't have spelt, but will get some to try next time. I threw a few dark chips on one side to try and it def­i­nitely makes them a more deca­dent treat.

10. Kathy says:

These are super thin, and not like usual "bars" I make. If I make these again I will def­i­nitely add choco­late chips, and I will use a smaller pan so that they are a thicker bar.

11. […] Pump­kin Oat Bars  We love pump­ing but you can sub in sweet potato if you want to give a twist to these snacks staples. […]