Dessert Week: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Dessert Week: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm in a pretty good groove lately with my Sun­day after cook­ing ses­sions. Julian still naps (Laura calls me the nap whis­perer and it just might be true, Esme only gave up her nap in the last year and she's about to turn 6!) so I use that time on Sun­day after­noons to have a lit­tle quiet time with Esme and to get ahead on the week. Last week there was also a bake sale at Julian's day­care that I wanted to con­tribute to so I started think­ing of a new snack to add to my ros­ter. I really wanted to come up with a more tra­di­tional choco­late cookie but add one of our favourite fall flavours pump­kin. And this isn't quite what I had in mind — it's actu­ally bet­ter. These are almost like her­mits — soft and cake-y — but with great tex­ture from the oats. Can I hum­ble­brag and say that these were a big hit at the bake sale and at home? I think I just did…

pho­tos by Maya Vis­nyei

1 tsp cin­na­mon
1 tsp nut­meg
1/2 tsp all­spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup pumkin puree
1 cup choco­late chips

Pre­heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream but­ter and sug­ars together until fluffy and light. Add egg and vanilla and mix again.

In a sec­ond bowl, com­bine flour oats, bak­ing soda and spices. Add the dry to wet and mix until it just com­bines. Blend in the pump­kin puree. Stir in the choco­late chips.

Drop 1 Tbsp of cookie bat­ter onto a parch­ment lined bak­ing sheet with about 1 to 2 inches between cook­ies. Bake for about 12 min­utes. Allow to cool for a few min­utes before remov­ing to a rack to cool completely.

1. Rina says:

Looks great but it would be great to know what the yield is. Will def­i­nitely try today.

2. Stacey says:

Pump­kin choco­late chip cook­ies are one of my go-to fall recipes. I use a ridicu­lous amount of pump­kin, mak­ing them delight­fully cake-like. I love the idea of throw­ing oats in there, and will be try­ing that with my usual recipe!

3. I have a sim­i­lar recipe and my kids (and I) love them! They are so tasty and the pump­kin makes them so soft and healthy.

It makes about 2 dozen cook­ies, depend­ing on how big you make them. Let me know if you try them out!

5. Shelley says:

I am look­ing for some­thing to bake for back-to-school lunches! Look­ing for­ward to giv­ing this recipe a try!!
    Thanks!

Let me know if you try them! I'm actu­ally look­ing for­ward to mak­ing them, too, I can't get enough pump­kin at this time of year. It's a con­so­la­tion for the end of summer!

7. Shelley says:

I too, can't get enough pump­kin!
    The cook­ies were deli­cious… my whole fam­ily loved them & it will def­i­nitely be a go to recipe for us!! Thank you (:

Yey! So glad they were a hit. I was just think­ing about these cook­ies — time to whip up another batch this week!

9. Persnickety says:

A great recipe I can't wait to try out. It looks incred­i­ble. I love Pump­kin and those adven­tur­ous enough to use it! I wish more would.

I came up with my own ver­sion of a Pump­kin Choco­late Chip Cooks. While dif­fer­ent from your own, I think mine is a unique take on the dish. I'm new to the Food Blog scene and would love some feed­back from a pro like you. Check out my recipe if have time.

10. Jan says:

I got home at 6:30 tonight and had these whipped up and the first batch in the oven by 6:45 .…. I kid you not. They are that easy! I have to con­fess I ate two before my din­ner, then one more after. They are yummy. Can't wait to see what my kids think of them once they get home tonight.

I love hear­ing that, Jan! And I agree, they are so easy but just a bit more spe­cial than reg­u­lar choco­late chip cook­ies. Let us know if your kids agreed. And now I'm crav­ing a batch!

12. Jan says:

Hi Ceri,
    The pump­kin is so yummy. My kids loved them and so did my co-workers. I have been shar­ing your gra­nola, break­fast cook­ies, and Waga­mama cook­ies with the girls at work. I am going to pass on your web­site to every­one. You got rave reviews on all three! Thanks so much for the recipe. I am going to split it next batch .…half choco­late chip for school lunches and half raisin pecan for me. Mmmmm.

Wow! That is amaz­ing!! Thanks so much for your sup­port — it means so much to us! And I like your idea for sub­bing in raisins and pecans — one of my favourite com­bos for sure. Let us know if there's any­thing you'd like to see here. We love tak­ing requests!