Pumpkin Cranberry Bread - Sweet Potato Chronicles - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

It's not easy being the child of a healthy food blog­ger. Just ask my kids… Hon­estly, they get plenty of good­ies and I don't con­sider myself that hard­core but when the world is con­stantly offer­ing up treats and you're the one say­ing "no" things can become fraught. Esme com­plains that every kid except her gets a juice box in their school lunch. I doubt that's true but she is always going to get a stain­less steel bot­tle full of water. Then last week she was bit­ter that hers was the only lunch box not full of Hal­loween candy. Again, I really don't think so. But it wasn't hap­pen­ing in our home as we offered the kid a new toy for Hal­loween candy swap and they both went for it.

So when I can come up with some­thing home made, healthy but impres­sive to include in Esme's lunch, I'm pretty happy. I've been want­ing to add to my pretty fee­ble bak­ing ros­ter and this is it. It's a really sim­ple recipe and it comes together quickly. I love the way the tart cran­ber­ries pop against the creamy sweet­ness of the pump­kin bread. Think of this as the fall ver­sion of your old standby banana bread. The smell that kicks out of the oven as you're bak­ing this is rea­son alone to spend the time bak­ing it. And the days I sent a piece wrapped up in Esme's lunch? No com­plaints, peo­ple, no complaints.

pho­tos by Maya Vis­nyei

Pump­kin Cran­berry Bread

1 1/2 cups whole­wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bak­ing soda
1/2 tsp cin­na­mon
1/2 tsp nut­meg
1/4 tsp ground gin­ger
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup pump­kin puree
2 eggs
1/3 cup veg­etable oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh cran­ber­ries (you could use frozen crans, just thaw them first)

Pre­heat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, bak­ing soda and spices.

In another large bowl, mix the sugar, pump­kin puree, eggs, oil and juice with an elec­tric mixer until they are well com­bined. Shake the dry ingre­di­ents into the wet in three addi­tions, mix­ing between each addi­tion. Once it's com­bined, stir in the cranberries.

Pre­pare your loaf tin lightly with but­ter. Pour the bat­ter in and use a spat­ula to smooth out the top a bit. Pop into a hot oven and bake for 50 min­utes or until a tooth­pick comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool for about 15 min­utes before turn­ing it out onto a rack to cool completely.

1. Kim says:

Just put the pump­kin bread in the oven; anx­ious to see how it turns out. I noticed that in one of the pic­tures you show two eggs being mixed in the bat­ter; I don't see two eggs in the ingre­di­ent list. I put them any­way and I guess we'll see what happens.

Oh, my good­ness. I'm so sorry about that. Do you know that I almost for­got to add the eggs on set, too? I must have not wanted them in there! But they are. Thanks for your eagle eyes! I've fixed it now. And please let me know how it turns out for you. Now I want a slice…

3. Anne says:

Just so that you know Esme is in good com­pany. My kids are never allowed to take Hal­loween candy to school — they get it for desert in the evening — one big­ger one or two smaller ones. It lasts for months and months. They just know that they are not allowed to dig in and make them­selves sick on it. They never ask to do so either.

I was smil­ing to myself about your juice box dilemma because my two youngest (6 & 10) don't ask very often because they know they are only allowed one juice a day and they tend to have it with din­ner. But my old­est (15) was say­ing she wanted juice boxes to take to school and was not at all happy when I pointed out that we have a lot of reusable water bot­tles in the cup­board she could use!

Now I must go and plug in my slow cooker which has the Sweet Potato Chron­i­cles maple baked beans recipe in it! A fam­ily favourite in the winter.

Thanks for your lovely note! I always feel ner­vous writ­ing posts like this one — it's not my inten­tion to come off self con­grat­u­la­tory. I make so many mis­takes as a par­ent and I'm really not all that strict about food… in my mind! But I just feel like the world is bom­bard­ing our kids with the mes­sage that they should be get­ting treats con­stantly. So it's very good to hear from other par­ents who feel the same way.
    And I'm thrilled you're lik­ing the baked beans! And it reminds me to make that recipe again — I haven't done it in ages. It's cer­tainly the sea­son for it.
    Thanks for writ­ing — we love hear­ing from you!

5. Krissy says:

Could you sue dried cran­ber­ries in this recipe too? Do you think it will be just as good?

6. Susannah says:

Sounds deli­cious. I love the idea of the tart cran­ber­ries in with pump­kin. I'll have to give it a try this weekend!

Hi Krissy,
    I've never made it with dried cran­ber­ries. I'm sure it would be good but just dif­fer­ent. You get the juici­ness that the fresh cran­ber­ries give but I think the taste would be close. Let me know if you give it a whirl!

8. Om Livin says:

Omg, super excited to taste this.…just put it in the oven & will be anx­iously wait­ing for the timer to go off!! :D