Soup Week: Coconut Lentil Soup - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Soup Week: Coconut Lentil Soup

You know what you can count on, when you live in Ontario, like we do? Win­ter. Every year. Right after fall. And yet… Lordy, the cry­ing and belly-aching over the snow and the cold. You would think that no one has ever seen snow before. And yes, I am one of the loud­est criers (you can take the girl out of the West Coast but you can't take the expec­ta­tion of balmy temps out of the girl) of them all. Lis­ten, we've got many weeks to go. How many more weeks when the ground­hog sees or doesn't see his shadow? Many. But that doesn't mean we have to take it lying down in a snow drift. We can fight the power with soup!

This soup is my new obses­sion and the best defence I can come up with for win­ter ennui. Not only is it easy peasy to make — a bit of sautee­ing, get every­thing in your pot and you're done — but the smell is so heav­enly and exotic, you might just trick your­self that it's not win­ter inside your house even if it's still win­ter out­side. And the taste is insane. For a really sim­ple soup it's got great, com­plex flavours — sweet, tart and just a bit spicy. Even the soup doubters that make up my fam­ily had to agree: it's the bomb. I have a giant bag of red lentils in my cup­board right now but I'm going to use it up before spring. Soup Power!

pho­tos by Maya Visnyei

4 cups veg­etable stock
3 cups water
1 can coconut milk
2 cups red lentils
1 big hand­ful of fresh spinach, sliced into rib­bons
juice 1/2 lemon
salt and pep­per to taste

Heat oil in a big pot or Dutch oven to about medium. Add your onions and car­rots and sautee them until they just begin to soften, about 3 to 5 min­utes. Toss in your gar­lic, gin­ger and spices. Give every­thing a good stir and allow it to cook for another 3 min­utes. Then add the tomato paste and stir again.

Pour in the stock, water, coconut milk and lentils. Give every­thing a good stir and let it sim­mer — not boil — for about 25 min­utes. Give it a taste to see that the lentils are nice and tender.

Throw in the spinach and stir it around until it just wilts. Add the lemon juice and taste before adjust­ing for salt and pep­per. And you're done! It's a big pot of soup but that's okay since it will taste even bet­ter the next day.

1. Laura says:

Wow! That sounds del­ish! We're soup fiends around here … and recent devo­tees to coconut milk … will def­i­nitely be giv­ing this a try!

2. Alexa says:

Sounds yummy. We use a lot of canned beans in our house. Is canned okay? How do I prep beans oth­er­wise? Thanks!

3. sharon says:

looks like you've got some cilantro on top — good addition.

4. Lynne says:

Made this tonight for din­ner — yummy!!

5. I love dal and your ver­sion looks divine. Red split lentils are a fab­u­lous lentil to cook for a quick, cheap and nutri­tious meal. Real com­fort food. Lovely post. Best Torie

Laura — let me know if you give it a try. I wish my crew was more soup-centric!

Alexa, red lentils cook really quickly so you really don't need to do any­thing at all to them before adding them to the soup. I've never seen them canned. But are you think­ing of using a dif­fer­ent legume instead? I think chick peas could be really good — in which case, I always use canned (just rinse them) rather than dried. I don't really have any expe­ri­ence with dried beans but I'm sure it's cheaper. Let me know what you try!

Lynne — I'm so thrilled you tried this and liked it!

And Torie, let me know if you give it a try. The smell in your house when you're mak­ing it alone is worth it!

7. Deane says:

Made it on the 15th and have been enjoy­ing this soup all week for lunch — flavours are amaz­ing (added more gin­ger and gar­lic, next time will add hot chilis — tastes great with Sir­acha sauce!)Thank you Ceri!

Doesn't every­thing taste bet­ter with Sir­acha? So glad this was a hit for you!!

9. Candice says:

Are the lentils ten­der? I would need to blend it because my boys won't eat clumpy soups. I find they are always hard and I usu­ally have to soak them from the day before?

Hi Can­dice,
    Yes, the lentils are quite ten­der. You could give it a whiz with an immer­sion blender to smooth it out even more. Red lentils are quite quick and I've never soaked them in advance. Let me know how it goes for you!

11. Heather says:

I am so excited to make this! Couldn't find coconut milk in a can. Got a small con­tainer if it. It says coconut milk bev­er­age. That's the same thing right?

Hmmm… just be sure it's only coconut milk and not coconut milk plus sugar or any­thing else funky! Let me know how it goes!!

13. Heather says:

Ahhhh hav­ing a bowl right now. Excel­lent recipe,
    thanks!

So glad! Your coconut milk drink did the trick, I guess!

15. Heather says:

It did! I checked, there was noth­ing extra in it :)

16. Mona says:

Absolutely loved this recipe. I didn't have red lentils so I used reg­u­lar green lentils, and cooked them longer. It was still great. I've bought red lentils now, and I'm look­ing for­ward to mak­ing it again.

17. College Cook says:

I just made this and it is deli­cious! Such an easy recipe, came together quickly, and I'll have lots of left­overs for the rest of the week. Thanks!

18. Catherine says:

This recipe was easy and deli­cious! Every­thing was already in my kitchen and I didn't have to go shop­ping. This is the first time I've used red lentils and I like how quickly they cook. The fla­vor was amaz­ing and my whole fam­ily loved it. Def­i­nitely a keeper!!

19. Mike says:

You sold me on this recipe with the line: "And the taste is insane." lol.

Seri­ously, with win­ter just around the cor­ner here as well, I'm down for some insane lentil soup!

20. murdena says:

can you freeze this soup?

Hi Mur­dena,
    Yes, absolutely. It's so funny you wrote today — I was just about to make this soup! Let me know if you try it.
    Thanks for read­ing!