Snack Week: Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars - Sweet Potato Chronicles

Snack Week: Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

My God, but this is the bossi­est win­ter we've had in a long time. Just when you think you can't find any more ways to com­plain, describe, cry about the cold weather, winter's like, "Oh, yeah, well what about this?" And shazam: Polar Vor­tex on our asses. (Sorry, I know this is a fam­ily show, but des­per­ate times, etc.) I don't think my kids have been out­side other than for the quick walk to the school bus/daycare in about a week. And even that brief expo­sure has all of us red-faced and sore from the cold. It actu­ally hurts. Okay win­ter, we get it, you're the man.

If you're stuck inside with the kids this week­end you're going to need some activ­i­ties. There's only so many times I can play Catopoly (mmm hmmm, lit­ter boxes instead of houses, not kid­ding). So I'm going to get my kids in the kitchen for some bak­ing. This is a super easy recipe that comes together quite quickly but still has enough steps that if you've got more than one child to amuse every­one gets a few turns dump­ing in ingre­di­ents. I really love the way choco­late and coconut taste together, plus the coconut adds an extra chewy-ness.  These pack really well, so you'll be one step ahead in the lunch game for next week. Next week when it won't be so cold. Right? Sorry, for­get I asked, win­ter, you're the boss. But until it warms up, we'll always have cook­ies…

chocchipcookbars

photo by Maya Visnyei

Choco­late Chip Bars

3/4 cup but­ter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bak­ing soda
2 tsp vanilla
1 x 12 oz pack­age of choco­late chips
1/2 cup shred­ded unsweet­ened coconut

Pre­heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Melt but­ter, either in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat. In a medium-sized bowl, whip together the melted but­ter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until the mix­ture is creamy and light. You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer — either works just fine.

In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingre­di­ents. Slowly add the dry to the wet until every­thing is just com­bined. Now add the choco­late chips and give every­thing another good mix. But don't over do it or you'll have tough bars!

Lightly grease a 9 x 13 " pan (or line it with parch­ment and leave a bit of over­hang) and spread your bat­ter out evenly. Bake for 25 to 30 min­utes. They're done when a tooth­pick inserted in the bars comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for a few min­utes before cut­ting into 24 rec­tan­gu­lar bars. If your fam­ily doesn't inhale them imme­di­ately, they'll keep for sev­eral days in an air­tight con­tainer and much longer in the freezer!

1. Jan says:

I'm all over these for tomor­row while we are hun­kered down under the deep freeze. Thanks so much for the recipe.….I'm really excited! I love the zuc­chini bread from you're cook­book, but I am hav­ing trou­ble cook­ing it through. It is in my oven right now.….baking so far for 75 mins, super brown on top but still raw in the cen­tre. This hap­pened last time…not sure why. Oven temp is good. Any sug­ges­tions, because it is SO yummy on the ends that cook.…I know gross.…but the ends that cooked through really were SO good.

2. www says:

I have read so many posts about the blog­ger lovers but this piece of writ­ing is actu­ally
    a fas­tid­i­ous piece of writ­ing, keep it up.

3. Melanie says:

OMG! These were a –34 Sun­day Saver!!! The kids were dri­ving me bonkers and I decided to put them to work (what…keeping the peace while feed­ing my choco­late habit is ok once in a while right?!?). These turned out great — they only took about 20 min­utes for them to cook and they were moist and chewy and I had to scam­ble to save some to freeze for lunch snacks! MERCI!!!

Jan — I feel ter­ri­ble about that! Since you seem sure about your oven I have two sug­ges­tions. One, after about 60 min­utes maybe cover it in foil to stop the brown­ing. Two, try mak­ing smaller mini –loaves if you've got those kinds of pans. I'm so sorry — I hate it when recipes don't work out!!

And Melanie — I'm so glad these were a hit for your crew! And very happy to hear that I helped you out on this crazy cold week­end. I love your two-birds the­ory — peace plus choco­late equals a happy mama!

5. Jan says:

Hi Ceri — all is good. Don't be sorry! All your recipes as so fan­tas­tic at some point I am bound to have some hic­cups. I did what you said and cov­ered it with foil. It turned out SO yummy, but I had to cook it for 25 mins extra and I still can't fig­ure out why. I had it on convection.….which usu­ally short­ens my cook­ing time by a third. Could this be my prob­lem although this seems awfully strange that it took so much longer and not less. I am not a cook or baker so there is quite a learn­ing curve going on in my kitchen as I cook my way through your FANTASTIC cook­book and web­site. Any tips/advice from you is much appre­ci­ated. I might go out and buy some mini loaf pans.…this sounds like fun! I made these squares Fri­day night and they are almost gone.…yummy!

6. I need to to thank you for this good read!! I def­i­nitely loved every bit of it.
    I have got you book marked to check out new things you post…

7. fan­tas­tic issues alto­gether, you sim­ply gained a new reader.
    What may you rec­om­mend about your post that you sim­ply made some
    days in the past? Any sure?

8. Anne says:

We made these last week­end — absolutely deli­cious. A few of them made it to the next day, but there was no way any of them were going to make it to the freezer. This is prob­a­bly going to become a fam­ily sta­ple along­side your chicken tacos.

9. dina says:

they look delish!

10. Laura Keogh says:

Hooray! Fam­ily sta­ple. And, by the way, they NEVER make it to my freezer either. Thanks so much for writ­ing and, more impor­tantly, for read­ing SPC. Best, Laura

11. hello!,I love your writ­ing very so much! share we be in con­tact extra about your arti­cle on
    AOL? I require a spe­cial­ist on this space to solve my problem.

Maybe that's you! Tak­ing a look ahead to peer you.

12. Hi col­leagues, how is all, and what you desire to say on the topic of
    this arti­cle, in my view its really remark­able in sup­port of me.